Smoothies are cool, but I think smoothie BOWLS are much cooler. It gives you that feel of eating rather than drinking, which satisfies my preference. So I normally prefer savory cooked meals and don’t regularly eat smoothies or smoothie bowls, but every now and then I get this nagging craving for a big ol’ bowl of sweetness that will not be shut down by a plate of bacon and eggs. So what’s my solution? Go down to the grocery store and get myself a pint of ice cream, duhh. Okay, that’s one approach, but on the days that I don’t want to send myself on a blood sugar roller coaster, this chocolatey smoothie bowl gets the job done. It is thick and chocolatey and always meets my chocolate-loving needs. It’s also well balanced with carbohydrates, protein, fats (if you choose certain toppings), and even veggies, so you can eat it as a meal or a snack or dessert or whatever needs of yours it satisfies! I use a paleo protein powder (Paleo Pro) for it because I do NOT do well with dairy-based protein powders like whey and casein. They actually use grass-fed beef and egg white protein instead, which I think is pretty neat. I love this powder because not only is it dairy-free, it is also sweetened only with stevia, which means it’s free of refined sugars. The protein is the only non-vegan ingredient in the smoothie, so you can easily swap it for a plant-based protein powder to make it vegan. So overall, this recipe is paleo, grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, refined-sugar free & vegetarian/vegan-friendly. Alright that’s enough banter, let’s get to the goods.
Prep time: 5 min.
- High-powered food processor or blender (I use this one)
- 150 g frozen banana slices
- 170 g frozen cauliflower florets
- 1 scoop of Ancient Cacao Paleo Pro protein powder (or your personal protein powder preference)
- 2 Tbs cacao powder
- 1/2 c unsweetened vanilla cashew milk (or any other nut milk you prefer)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of pink/sea salt (Redmond’s Real Salt is my favorite)
- Optional toppings: I LOVE cacao nibs and almonds. You can also use fruit or anything else you want; go crazy!
- Add all ingredients (except the toppings) to a high-powered blender or food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Pour into your favorite bowl and add the toppings of your choice.
Let me know if you try this recipe out or if you have any questions!